Why Use Yoast SEO? Yoast SEO is one of the most popular WordPress plugins around and it’s easy to understand.
Yoast can be installed on any self-hosted WordPress site. This is why I recommend you use the Yoast SEO plugin as well.
Whether you’re running a personal blog or you’re an SEO professional managing a website for a client, the Yoast plugin is a powerful tool that can help you make your site as search-engine-friendly as possible.
The Yoast SEO plugin makes it easy for your site to meet the highest technical SEO standards. It also gives you the tools to bring your content to the highest standards of SEO and overall readability.
- Why Use Yoast SEO?
- How to Use Yoast SEO plugin on WordPress
- What is Yoast Premium?
- Wrapping Up - Why use Yoast SEO?
Why Use Yoast SEO?
Yoast SEO solves a lot of technical SEO issues that your site might otherwise suffer from.
Here is are the reasons why you need to use Yoast SEO:
1. Yoast Improves Content SEO
This plugin helps you with your rankings, but they still rely on your content. You’ll have to start optimizing the pages and posts on your sites for the keywords and key phrases you want to rank for.
The plugin is able to tell you how you can optimize your post or page to rank with that keyphrase. And does this by using red, orange, and green bullets to indicate how every factor scores.
This gives you an easy overview of the overall score and what you can still tackle to increase your rankings.
Yoast is used to:
- improve on-page SEO.
- add custom post title, meta description, and meta keyword for our posts, pages, and taxonomies – tag, category.
- create XML sitemaps.
- add twitter cards in WordPress
- notifies search engines automatically once your content is published.
- add custom RSS footers.
2. Yoast Improves Readability
Your audience won’t benefit from content if they don’t comprehend it. So when a person doesn’t understand your content, the chance of them buying something from you is slim.
So, you need to make sure your content is also easy to understand. And that’s where the readability features chip in.
Yoast SEO’s readability features give you feedback on how to optimize your writing. The plugin uses an algorithm to check your content on different factors that are proven to increase readability:
- looks at the use of transition words, the use of passive voice, your sentence and paragraph lengths and more.
- has social integration that lets you show you the correct title, description, and image for Facebook using the Open Graph meta data.
When writing the meta information, the WordPress SEO plugin shows you a Google search result snippet preview, so you can see exactly how your content will look when someone searches for it in Google.
How to Use Yoast SEO plugin on WordPress
Login to WordPress dashboard admin area, select Add Plugin, and search for Yoast SEO. Installed and activated it, you’ll see an SEO tab on your dashboard.
Import Data From Other SEO Plugins
Have you been using other SEO plugins? Then import your settings. Head over to the Tools menu under the SEO tab, and select Import and Export settings.
Paste them on the Import settings tab, or use the Import from other SEO plugins option.
If you have never used any SEO plugins before, skip this step.
Configure General Settings
First, complete the configuration wizard to help the plugin decide what kind of practices you should follow for your site’s technical SEO.
Go to SEO -> General section. In the Dashboard tab, click the configuration wizard link.
There are about 9 steps you should do to specify the plugin’s setting for your site:
- Confirm whether your website is live and ready to be indexed.
- Specify the type of your website.
- Verify your website’s ownership to provide the right information for Google’s Knowledge Graph.
- Set your search engine visibility preferences.
- State how many people will be running your website.
- Write meta titles and variable settings to optimize your site’s branding.
- Provide your email information on whether you want to subscribe to Yoast’s newsletter.
- Check if you want to upgrade to Yoast SEO Premium.
- Finally, the plugin teaches you about some of its features.
If you are not sure, just enable or disable them from the Features tab under the General menu.
You can disable or enable Yoast SEO’s features. Simply click the On/Off button to change each setting.
Optimize Content with Yoast SEO Meta Box
Finally, you’ll see the Yoast SEO meta box either under or just beside your post editor. It has three sections namely: Content Optimization, Social, and Advanced tabs.
The Content Optimization section
The Content Optimization section has a Snippet Preview that shows how your post will appear on the search engine results page.
The content Optimization section also has the following:
- Focus keyphrase – determine your focus keywords and its synonym before checking the SEO analysis.
- SEO analysis – shows your post’s overall SEO performance. You can see how sufficient your internal and external links are, how good is the keyword and keyphrase distribution, and how effective is your image alt text.
- Readability analysis – checks how readable your paragraphs and sentence lengths are, and grades them using a Flesch-Kincaid readability score.
- Cornerstone content – analyzes your important content and evaluates your overall link structure.
- Insight – shows the most frequently used words and phrases in your content.
The Social Media tab shows how your posts will look on social media platforms like Facebook. So you can also add images, customize the title and description.
The Advanced section
This is where you can customize some advanced SEO settings. For example, you can configure your search engine visibility, follow-or-no-follow links.
You may also be interested in these topics:
What is Yoast Premium?
Yoast Premium is the paid version of the popular Yoast plugin for WordPress websites. It has a host of functions that help you to grow your website traffic.
The free version of Yoast offers everything you need to succeed with SEO though the paid version extends its functionality.
Yoast premium has great features like managing 301 redirects and internal linking suggestions and support.
Is Yoast Premium Worth It?
Yes! Yoast Premium is extremely useful.
But before you buy Yoast premium, consider the features that you need. To help you make a good decision, let’s look at three main groups of users who need Yoast Premium:
- website redesign teams with numerous potential redirect problems
- website managers aggressively competing for competitive keywords, and
- users new to SEO who will appreciate the included support.
Do you still need Yoast premium?
Wrapping Up – Why use Yoast SEO?
If you want to reach your potential customers, efficient SEO practice is crucial. Yoast WordPress plugin makes it easier to accomplish that.
The other reason why you should use Yoast SEO is to optimize your on-site SEO, you will be able to improve your content without using too much effort.