Are you looking to learn how to write a meta description for SEO?
A meta description is a brief synopsis of a webpage. A description that is properly optimized for users increases the chances that they will click through to your site. This serves as a positive indicator to search engines that your content is useful and offers solutions.
A well-crafted meta description will send the right signals to both search engines and users.
- What Is A Meta Description?
- Meta Description For SEO Checklist
- Where Do I Write The Meta Description For SEO?
- Characteristics Of a Good Meta Description For SEO
- How Do Search Engines Use Meta Title And Descriptions?
- Why Is Your Content’s Meta Description Important?
- Helpful Online Tools For Checking Your Meta Descriptions
- Summary: How To Write a Meta Description For SEO
What Is A Meta Description?
A meta description is an HTML tag you can set for a post or page of your blog. You can use it to describe what your page is about. It provides you an opportunity to convince search engine users that your page has a solution.
Meta Description For SEO Checklist
So ensure that you follow this checklist when you write your meta description for SEO:
Include your most important keywords in meta tags and ensure they appear in the meta description. Usually, search engines highlight in bold where it finds the exact words or phrases searchers query in your snippet.
Write Readable Sentences
Don’t use a keyword unnecessarily. Keyword stuffing is not good for SEO. Make sure your description reads like a normal, human-written sentence. The concepts in the sentences must come naturally.
View Your Meta Description As An Advert For Your Web Page
The essence of writing a great meta description is to appeal to the hearts of internet users. Therefore, they should be compelling but must be as relevant to the content on the web page as possible. The description must match the content on the page. But you should also strive to make it as appealing to users as possible.
Length Must Be Reasonable
Search engines chop off longer meta descriptions. So a meta description should not be longer than 135 – 160 characters long. Thus make sure to write any important keywords nearer the front to avoid being chopped off.
Avoid Duplicating Meta Descriptions
Duplicate content has a negative impact on your website SEO. It makes it difficult for your content to rank. So just like title tags, the meta descriptions must always be written differently for each page. This will help you avoid Google penalizing you for duplicating your meta descriptions massively.
Remember To Use Rich Snippets
To make your snippets appealing, include elements such as star ratings, customer ratings, product information, and calorie counts. To make your task easier, use schema markup.
Where Do I Write The Meta Description For SEO?
You are expected to add a meta description in the <head> section of your site’s HTML. It should appear like this:
You should have complete control of your meta description in your CMS, particularly if you’re using WordPress.
If you use an SEO plug-in, such as Yoast, you can write a meta description to the ‘meta description’ section, and you can preview an example of how it will look in search engine results pages.
Characteristics Of a Good Meta Description For SEO
All great meta descriptions should have the following elements:
1. Use active voice and action words
To write a great meta description that is engaging, you have to consider your user. Motivate them to visit your page. Make sure that your description isn’t difficult to understand. People need to know what they can expect to find on your page. It should be active, motivating, and address them directly.
2. Include a call-to-action
The meta description should act as your sales text. So include invitations such as Learn more, Get it now, Try for free, come in handy must be used as well.
3. State specifications in of products
If you are talking about products. Include information such as manufacturer, price, and how to use it. If the visitor is specifically looking for that product, then this wouldn’t be necessary.
How Do Search Engines Use Meta Title And Descriptions?
A meta description will not be seen by visitors on your webpage but will be seen in the SERPs. Therefore, a meta description should provide a brief description of your page, while appealing to a user enough to get them to click through to your site.
A great meta description will require critical thinking, keyword research, and compelling language. So an awesome meta description should:
- Give a page a concise description
- Cultivate interest in the reader
- Target a keyword query.
Why Is Your Content’s Meta Description Important?
A decade ago, Google announced that the text in meta descriptions and meta keywords doesn’t factor into its ranking algorithms for search.
However, meta descriptions are still important for the following reasons:
- They appeal to people online on your result in the organic listings. So people are persuaded to click on them.
- They indirectly improve your rankings by boosting your site’s organic click through rate (CTR). This is because Google measures click through rates.
You may also need the following articles:
Helpful Online Tools For Checking Your Meta Descriptions
Below are some helpful tools that you can use to test your meta descriptions as you write them.
- Semrush Site Audit: This tool analyzes the health of a website. It provides you with a list of issues that make it easy to see where exactly a website needs improvement, including missing and duplicate meta descriptions.
- Semrush On Page SEO Checker: This tool suggests the right keyword. Also, checks the detailed analysis for keyword usage in meta descriptions. On Page SEO Checker also furnishes you with a detailed list of actionable, tailor-made optimization tips for each page of your website.
- Portent: This SERP view generator lets you enter your meta description, a title and URL to test how your search results will appear. You can check the pixel width of your title, the character length of your description, and test how different keywords within your description will look when bolded.
Summary: How To Write a Meta Description For SEO
One crucial and final approach to meta description tags is to focus on the solution you’re providing to searchers. This type of meta description promises something that the searcher will achieve through buying from the website or from reading the content on a site.
So meta descriptions can make or break how much SEO traffic you get. A great meta description tag allows any page to get more clicks through an increased-click through rate, potentially even a higher ranking.