Are you looking to learn how to archive or delete a Facebook group? Because you detest what the members are doing in the group?
Then look no further. I have you covered.
It’s important to have a Facebook group.
Because Facebook groups accord members a platform to communicate shared interests and hobbies regardless of geographical locations.
But as an administrator of a group, you may note that the group no longer serves the purpose it was created for. Members have overstepped their boundaries and you no longer want this to continue.
Well, Facebook gives you several tools to archive, deactivate or delete an existing group.
I have prepared a step-by-step guide to help learn how to archive or create a group on Facebook.
This is what you will learn in this article:
- What does it mean to archive a Facebook group?
- How to archive a Facebook group (Desktop)
- How to archive a group on the Facebook app
- How to delete a Facebook group (Desktop)
- How to delete a Facebook group on iPhone
- How to unarchive a Facebook group
Are you ready?
Ok, then let’s dive in now!
- What Does It Mean To Archive a Facebook Group?
- How To Archive a Facebook Group (Desktop)
- How To Archive a Group On Facebook App
- How To Delete a Facebook Group On a Desktop
- How To Delete a Facebook Group On iphone
- How To Unarchive a Facebook Group
- Facebook Group Privacy Settings
What Does It Mean To Archive a Facebook Group?
In simple terms, to archive a Facebook group is to simply disallow group members from doing the following:
- creating posts
- commenting on existing posts
- adding more new members
- liking existing posts
When a group is archived, group members are usually notified that their group has been archived.
What are the members able to do while the group is archived?
When a group is archived, the existing members can still see all the contents in the group.
So where do you archive a group?
You can archive a Facebook group either from the group’s page on the Facebook website or in the Facebook app on a mobile device, Android, or iPhone.
How To Archive a Facebook Group (Desktop)
1. Log into your Facebook account and go to the Facebook group you want to archive.
2. On the top toolbar for the group, underneath the cover photo, click the button that says “…More.”
3. Select “Archive Group” from the dropdown menu.
4. Click “Confirm” to confirm the action.
How To Archive a Group On Facebook App
Here is how to archive Facebook group:
- Click the Facebook app on your phone.
- From your News Feed, click on Groups in the left menu and select your group from Groups You Manage or by searching for it.
- Then click on the About section.
- Select Archive group.
- Lastly, click on Confirm.
How To Delete a Facebook Group On a Desktop
1. Go to Facebook.com and navigate to “Groups” on the home page.
2. Select the group that you wish to delete.
3. Navigate to “Members” on the left side of the page.
4. Click the “More” button next to each member’s name and then select “Remove from Group.” Hit “Confirm.”
5. Once all members are removed, select the “More” button next to your name.
6. Select “Leave Group” and then “Leave and Delete.”
How To Delete a Facebook Group On iphone
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone or Android phone. Select the “Menu” tab and then select “Groups.”
2. Select “See All” next to “Your Groups,” and then select “See All” again underneath “Groups you Manage” to view all of your groups.
3. Open the group that you want to delete.
4. Tap on the name of the group, and then tap “See All” to view all of the members.
5. Tap on each person’s name and select “Remove Member” to remove them from the group.
6. Once everyone is deleted from the group, tap on your name and select “Leave Group.” Facebook will confirm that once you leave the group, the group will be deleted.
7. Select “Leave and Delete.”
How To Unarchive a Facebook Group
- Go to your group. At the top, you will see an option to Unarchive Group.
- Click the button to start the process.
- Click to Confirm to unarchive the group.
Congrats! You just unarchived the group successfully.
So all the admins, moderators, and members will be able to interact now just like they used to before the group was archived. This means that they will be able to post, comment, or like posts.
Facebook Group Privacy Settings
It is only group admins who can change the privacy of a Facebook group.
Remember, there are two privacy settings for Facebook groups:
- Public: anyone on or off Facebook can see all the members in the group and their posts.
- Private: only members can see the group members and their posts.
It is important to note that public groups can change to private. If an admin schedules the privacy setting to change, they have 3 days to cancel if they’d like to.
But once a group changes from public to private, the change is permanent.
So who gets notified when group privacy settings are changed?
- All admins will get a notification when the privacy change is scheduled.
- Everyone in the group will get a notification when the privacy change happens.
- If the change is canceled, the group will stay public and admins will be notified that the change was canceled.
How To Change The Privacy Of a Public Facebook Group
To change the privacy of a public Facebook group you admin:
- From your News Feed, click Groups in the left menu and select your group. If you don’t see Groups, click See More.
- Click Settings in the left menu.
- Click next to Privacy.
- Select Private and then click Save.
Take Note That: Private groups can’t change to the public to protect the privacy of group members. But group admins can choose to make their groups visible or hidden.
You can archive or permanently delete a group. When a group is archived, members can’t post in the group and new members can’t join the group. The page can be restored later.
But when you delete a Facebook group, the group can’t be restored. It is lost forever. So before you archive or delete a Facebook group, think twice.